Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Highlights from [Baren] Exchange #74 (Part 1 of 2)

I returned from visiting family for the holidays to my package of prints from Baren Forum Exchange #74. What a happy surprise and fine start to the new year! This is an stunning collection of 7" x 7" prints. I really love the whole collection so much, but have limited myself to highlighting 4 on this blog.

The technique challenge was white woodcuts (after the Provincetown style), which is a very difficult and time consuming technique to attempt, let alone master. Most of the participants at least made a go at creating a print partially or fully in the traditional white line style, and the results are full of many subtle and lovely effects. I could go on, but I don't really write about technique on this art blog. And so...

This first featured print, Espresso in Sienna, is by Alexandra Morris. Initially I was grabbed by the colors, but ultimately what charms me is the interaction between the pottery and that doily. Positioned asymmetrically, the lace loops and swerves round and round, echoing the curves of the cup, it's handle, saucer, and surface designs.

Monica Bright's print Fixated features a similar interplay, this time between an imaginative and abstracted school of fish that spiral around a watchful bird. This image is more singular in the direction of its composition; with the background completely carved away to eliminate any distractions, emphasis is on the overall hypnotic spiral and a darkened, hungry eye.

I'll post again tomorrow with the other 2 prints from this exchange that I've decided to write about.









No comments:

Post a Comment